Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pumpkin Pasties

A-la-Harry Potter! The book below is a MUST for all Harry Potter fans.  I have only gotten through a few recipes (and there are a few in the book I would NEVER try-like blood pudding) but they all fuel my love for the books...and that is just the best.  The only thing it is missing that I wish it had is Butterbeer...maybe I'll make my own recipe for that some day. 


The dish at hand though: Pumpkin Pasties. 
So easy to make, takes like ten minutes.  I had made extra pie crust yesterday thinking I would just make two pumpkin pies, but pulling out this cookbook I remembered the Pumpkin Pasty recipe.  So I chopped my pie dough in half and went for it.  I also had some left over pumpkin from making the Pumpkin Fudge earlier in the week, so was able to use that instead of having to open up a whole new can! I love it when I can save stuff and find uses for it later. 

In the book the author has her own recipe for the crust.  You can use that or use my recipe on the previous post or just buy some from the store (no one is judging!) If you buy it from the store make sure to buy the kind you roll out and put in your own pan, not the kind already in the aluminum pan. 

Ingredients:
Pie Crust
1 cup pumpkin puree (not the pie mix)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice





1) Preheat the oven to 400
2) Lay out the pie crust and use a rolling pin to roll out until thin (I even like to roll out the store bought kind just so it's a little thinner) 
3) Use a 6'' diameter cup, bowl, cookie cutter, whatever to cut out circles of the pie crust.  (In the book it says it makes about 6 Pasties, I'm thinking that is with two store bought crusts). With whatever crust you have left, reroll and make some more circles.
4) In a bowl mix together the pumpkin, sugar, and spices. 
5) Put about two or three Tbs. of the pumpkin mixture on the crust circles. 
6) Fold in half and pinch down the edges using a fork. 
7) Cut slits in the top to vent.
8) Place on cookie sheet and put into the oven until the crusts are golden brown.  (15 minutes or so)
9) Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve. 

*I use a cookie cutter that is about 2 or 3 inches in diameter, so mine are much smaller then the ones in the book.  I made mine with one homemade 9'' pie crust and came out with 16 or so pasties.  I also had some extra dough that I didn't roll out again and just a little extra pumpkin mix (I thought I might try some pumpkin oatmeal in the morning with brown sugar and cinnamon!) You can make them any size you want, just make sure to vary the cooking time.*

They are great warm or cold.  Add some ice cream or whipped cream for a real treat!  These are nice because they are like mini pumpkin pies you can walk around with, but they are not quite as sweet. 

My husband absolutely loves them.  The first batch I made he ate them all...so I had to make two more to take to work with me the next day! They were gone pretty fast as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment